Tuesday 12 February 2013

hurdle#four : Beginning treatment and the potential benefits pitfalls 

Today I had my first Radiotherapy session which actually went well',Wearing the mask is slightly claustrophobic .We then had an outpatient review with the oncologist which meant we could clarify a few points ( I continue with  the Steroids with their all powerful side effects they are then gradually reduced) and I left feeling pretty happy with how things are progressing ;Looking forward to getting an independent perspective  (Ivan-Sonia?) rather than spending hours trawling  the internet on my situation though I have to recommend the Macmillan booklets freely available in outpatient dept and on line at www.macmillan.com.uk for their clarity and common sense.As for side effects of Radiotherapy; it seems these are insidious and likely to become problematic as they build. therefore today I feel fine.Attending multiple outpatients at the hospital is never ideal ,driving,parking,forking out for tickets traipsing hither and thither all added burden for Anne .Nevertheless this week  I managed to bet back on the bike for the first time this week without much difficulty which is a massive boost .In theory I will be able to do so much more independently be it attending appointments,running errands, visiting friends & family ,work (combined with train).We (Anne & the boys) are planning to have a short break away from 'it' (tumor related stuff: outpatients ,discussing,blogging,etc etc)  and will probably head for the East Anglian coast,fish & chips & beer,bracing winds

2 comments:

  1. Have a pint (or 2 or 3 or 4) of Adnams Bitter for me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might take the Ouzo along as a night cap and to fend off the north sea chill!

      Delete