Thursday 28 February 2013

Week Beginning 24/2/12-


Week beginning Sunday 2/2/13-Friday 1/3/2013
Richard Thompson :annual event
Managed to get to see Richard Thompson at the corn exchange albeit I nodded off briefly            
Side effects
From Radiotherapy:
i)                 Hair loss: As predicted, the side effects from the Radiotherapy begin to emerge. These appear to build /cumulative and I have noticed hair loss whilst in the shower each day this week .Subsequently, I went to the barber (Stewart –many thanks) who was very good at navigating around the biopsy scar (which is slightly red due to the radiation) whilst trying to make me something of the limited hair.
ii)                Somnolence :
As Expected. I find I can nod off in the most unlikely of places (I even went off at a rock gig at the corn exchange: Tiredness – exhaustion is further complicated as the Steroids have multiple side effects (see below) which affect sleep pattern etc. However this is manageable if I have space to meditate and rest, eat as needed.
From Steroids
i)                 Early Morning Waking and need (urgency) in needing to pee: I get off to sleep without problem however I usually wake in the early hours & remain awake before  aiming to return to bed (by which time my body temperature has reduced to corpse level, which Anne finds unnerving. I quickly warm and ready for our usual get up time and her morning tea.
ii)                Oedema (swelling due to build up of fluid) "Moonface" Ankles +++, knees, legs, neck++ face+++.This is not painful as such however I am experiencing aching knees?.I elevate the legs to manage
iii)               Dry itchy skin. Caused by the skin being stretched due to oedema.GP has given me a prescription for ‘double base’ which helps
GP visit: frank discussion with GP about prognosis and symptoms. Found this helpful and I feel we now have a open understanding. Option   of diuretics, however I am resistant as all drugs  have negative side effects. Need to consider treatment options?? Temodar?



Felix Cooking: Showed Felix how to cook a steak (this was left over from Joseph’s 22nd birthday last Thursday. I think he has now got it!
Visit to in-laws

Good to visit with Rory & Felix, Mary & Jim, whom has clearly made a good recovery from the worst of his combined medical problems. Always nice to do a malt tasting,’ Tullimore dew’ though it set of the somnolence.
Elsa & Nick visit ; Anne & I wanted to show our appreciation for the help that Elsa  Nick have generously given so we brought them a picture of Hunstanton

Wednesday 19:30hrs.
Open session at the Devonshire with : Raymond T, Paul M, Paul R, Alun M, yours truly. Very enjoyable evening
Paperwork/Finance Anne & I have managed to put off (avoid?) looking at paperwork, finances, car, future ,wills ,etc etc, therefore for the latter part of the week we have decided to give ourselves some space to address this. Probably need independent financial advice.

Looking forward: Spring ,Marys

No comments:

Post a Comment