Thursday 28 February 2013

Week Begining 24/2/13


 Week beginning Sunday 2/2/13-Friday 1/3/2013
Managed to get to see Richard Thompson at the corn exchange albeit I nodded off briefly            
Side effects
Richard Thompson annual event with Raymond

From Radiotherapy:
i)                 Hair loss: As predicted, the side effects from the Radiotherapy begin to emerge. These appear to build /cumulate and I have noticed hair loss whilst in the shower each day this week .Subsequently, I went to the barber (Stewart –many thanks) who was very good at navigating around the biopsy scar (which is slightly red due to the radiation) whilst trying to make me something of the limited hair.
ii)                Somnolence :
As Expected. I find I can nod off in the most unlikely of places (I even went off at a rock gig at the corn exchange: Tiredness – exhaustion is further complicated as the Steroids have multiple side effects (see below) which affect sleep pattern etc. However this is manageable if I have space to meditate and rest, eat as needed.
From Steroids
i)                 Early Morning Waking and need (urgency) in needing to pee: I get off to sleep without problem however I usually wake in the early hours & remain awake before  aiming to return to bed (by which time my body temperature has reduced to corpse level, which Anne finds unnerving. I quickly warm and ready for our usual get up time and her morning tea.
ii)                Oedema (swelling due to build up of fluid) Ankles +++, knees, legs, neck++ face+++.This is not painful as such however I am experiencing aching knees?.I elevate the legs to manage
Moon face/fat neck/hair loss
Glastonbury 1986 with Liz and Paul




iii)               Dry itchy skin. Caused by the skin being stretched due to oedema.GP has given me a prescription for ‘double base’ which helps
GP visit: frank discussion with GP about prognosis and symptoms. Found this helpful and I feel we now have a open understanding. Option   of diuretics, however I am resistant as all drugs  have negative side effects. Need to consider treatment options?? Temodar?
Felix Cooking: Showed Felix how to cook a steak (this was left over from Joseph’s 22nd birthday last Thursday. I think he has now got it!
Visit to in-laws

Good to visit with Rory & Felix, Mary & Jim, whom has clearly made a good recovery from the worst of his combined medical problems. Always nice to do a malt tasting,’ Tullamore dew’ though it set of the somnolence.
Elsa & Nick visit ; Anne & I wanted to show our appreciation for the help that Elsa  Nick have generously given so we brought them a picture of Hunstanton

Wednesday 19:30hrs.
Open session at the Devonshire with : Raymond T, Paul M, Paul R, Alun M, yours truly. Very enjoyable evening
Paperwork/Finance Anne & I have managed to put off (avoid?) looking at paperwork, finances, car, future ,wills ,etc etc, therefore for the latter part of the week we have decided to give ourselves some space to address this. Probably need independent financial advice.

Looking forward: Spring ,Marys,

11 comments:

  1. Wot no hat this week! Presumably you're letting the new hairstyle settle down rather than blatter it with a trilby or similar!! I see you too have succumbed to letting loose early years images - I did it last sunday on Facebook and was told by our receptionist at work that I was "brave" - cheek!

    It looks like Chris will be joining you in experiencing the joys and otherwise of Radiotherapy - the neuropathy she's suffering seems to be as a result of damage to the nerves in the plexus at the base of her spine - so there's a 2 week burst in planning as we speak....also if you know anyone who can pimp stair-lifts the one we've just had fitted is way too slow for the likes of Jaime and I!!

    As to independent financial advice, wills etc - yep get it sorted and out of the way - we did it early on and can now forget about it...

    Still waiting for the garage to come up with a C4S I can afford and I'll be over for a blare around the country roads - top down natch! (Hat off probably better - unless you can fit a nice bow under the chin or a piece of elastic to hold onto).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each day I shower my mouth /face is having to contend with hair.I am wearing hats most of the time
      One good bit of news .The life assurance policy we have been paying for the last twenty years looks as if it has reasonable cover and we will be talking to Financial advisers asap.
      Sorry to hear that Chris is having to undergo Radiotherapy .Apart from the hair loss and somnolence( I manage to fall asleep anywhere even at a rock gig),Slight reddening around biopsy scar. Photo-sensitivity to sun? My 'Problem' side effects come from the Steroids .What is a C4S?

      Delete
    2. C4S is the planned upgrade to the current Boxster :) and is nothing like the mode of transport just purchased by a friend in the village - the one who has brain tumours!! http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8514/8531544114_4c081be6b2_z.jpg

      It goes up to about 25mph!

      He loves it!

      Delete
    3. are you suggesting they are allowed to drive a moped?

      Delete
    4. it's actually a kind of push bike but with battery power as well...and yup apparently he's able to ride it around no problem. (BTW he's currently in Sheffield having Gamma Knife surgery - his wife Clare posted a pic on facebook of him "wearing" the metal frame that is used to keep him still....

      Delete
  2. left a note about financial advice this afternoon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Neil, thanks for the updates. John has been at work things the last two Wednesdays so is sorry to have missed the pub but is intending to come along this week. Have you see Silver Linings Playbook? It's all a bit Hollywood does mental health but its very enjoyable and show there is life and hope after psychiatric illness. Hope to see you one of these days. Love Gaenor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the recommendation
      Hollywood does mental health is OK with me. One flew out of the cuckoos nest,the Shinning,beautiful mind are all in my top ten movies.

      Delete
  4. Hi Neil, You seem very pragmatic in coping. Seeing things from the point of view of the patient is an eye-opener. Glad the family are rallying round. Best wishes John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks John.
    I am Trying to maintain normal routine as able whilst learning to appreciate each moment to moment using a form of meditation (Detached Mindfulness) that I have been using with my depressed patients ( recommended by NICE). The support from family,friends,colleagues , neighbors whether it be cake,visits ,cards,chat,prayer has all been welcome by me and the family as the energy levels are readily in need of charging. Anne is her usual stoical self. The boys have all stepped up to the plate. remain in good spirit's and coping with the side effects of the Steroids /Radiotherapy. Will be due for a review of the next options 26th March.(not holding my breath!)

    ReplyDelete