Wednesday 16 January 2013

Biopsy


Done and I am here to tell the tale what a relief! That feels as if the family & I have crossed a massive hurdle and I am now able to move into the next phase.

Harrison Ford 'Indie' + Hulk makes A great combination ' Hindie? {Lets stick with Paddy!] and a dear in-law
 A Cambridge' adventurer extraordinaire.Top builder. 

I will try not to repeat in detail the issues that we struggled with most in the build up. Many of the requisite preparations were relatively stress free and plane sailing, facilitated by expert/caring NHS Staff including all the porters transferring me ably me from one place to another with their humor, ceaseless courtesy.

Sustenance

The anaesthetic team: reassuringly explaining all stages of process allaying anxiety as best they are able.

The Operation-Medical team: Thanks a million for trying to save my life, I wish you all best. I didn't feel a thing. The post operative discharge letter clearly explains what transpired and this is helpful. In essence, three samples have been removed from the main (plum sized) tumor by ‘frontal stealth guided biopsy’. I will no doubt have more to say about this matter as things progress, and the ongoing plan of treatment and care. Thanks for coming to update me post surgery albeit I perhaps should have waited until Anne was with me. I apologies if my questions were in any way inappropriate or disrespectful my head was mightily spangled.
Thank you!
The Recovery Team: The first seen on regaining consciousness who gently monitor those vital few minutes post operation. It was a pleasure to exchange small talk. I learnt and retained more about West Africa in that brief and fascinating discourse than from years of mainstream media

Radiology /Computerized Tomography- post biopsy : if you want information about this and other NHS procedures you might try http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ct-scan/pages/introduction.aspx.
However this was not needed in my case as the caring/professional NHS staff on hand give as much information and reassurance as needed. This was also my third CT. I had needed one on the day of admission to Accident and Emergency which indicated the presence of the Tumours, prompting a more detailed MRI – Multi Resonance Imaging. I found the MRI more of a challenge than the CT, however Staff speak through microphone throughout and provide a call button if needed. Details of which are available from the NHS at
As there was concern that my Tumours might be secondary (Metastases) from some primary source elsewhere I underwent CT scan of the upper body (chest/abdomen). My understanding of the rational for this in my case would be to then target the least invasive & risky source of the problem if located elsewhere. Common sense.


Personal Opinion: I was probably in a fairly strong state before embarking on this marathon.  I have in recent years endeavored to work towards a healthier lifestyle which comes down to healthy eating, regular exercise, and reduced alcohol as recommended by DOH advice. Stop smoking.
I began smoking age eleven as it was then the trend and managed to quit about a year ago, when I switched to using an electronic replica. I was never a heavy smoker though my usage varied over time and was habitually associated with aspects of my social life. I might come back to smoking & related issues at some other time on the blog.

Love and caramel slice







NH 16/1/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment