Thursday 10 January 2013

Thursday 10th day eight


Thursday 10th January 2013: Day eight of knowing that my head is beset with major problems. And continuing the now established format I will post about my 1) symptoms, 2) coping, 3) contacts and a new entry, 4) Personal positive NHS news item. Finally, whatever else I determine at the time. I will endeavour to illustrate where possible subject to the technical support available to me and would like to try some humour, however, I have always been rather serious and know that my delivery leaves much to interpretation.

I'll be interspersing this blog with pictures of what I have been doing.

1)     Symptoms:
Visual disturbances a) Pulsating/flashing lights in the Left temporal area have occurred frequently throughout the day; 15-20 times?  And its only 18:18hrs! Difficult to know whether this is an increase on previous, (the log will hopefully provide me and others with  some accuracy). These have varied in severity and I am in the process of devising a rating for this dependent on  whether there is accompanying peripheral visual disturbance, discomfort–pain, duration, derealisation, disorientation, anxiety–panic Fear; exhaustion etc, etc .I am sure that anxiety –adrenaline exacerbates all the symptoms

2) Coping: As previously stated. These are a few ideas on what I am trying to use to manage myself. You must seek professional guidance from your own professionals, I mean no harm and don’t claim any expertise in relation to your condition or in relation to any of the strategies I am sharing. Use common sense. NHS Direct and NICE are obvious useful sources of information along with your General Practice and local health services.
Grounding: myself and saying something concrete such as my name, address, occupation etc. Steadying myself by holding on to furniture, walls etc when spinning and disorientated. Sitting down, not undertaking potentially hazardous procedures, e.g. boiling kettle, and using sharps for food preparation; using stairs and showers when symptomatic. Regular use of Save function  when documenting. Common Sense!
Routine: This is beginning to take shape with regular meal times, medication, meditation & basis standing yoga. With plenty of sustenance such as fluids, fruit, treats. I have dropped the caffeine in coffee fearing it will worsen my symptoms. Regular breaks to counteract fatigue.



 Ring fencing time for contact with others including phone calls and strict limits on using any equipment such as laptop, PC mobile. I find I am more inclined and able to do the blog stuff etc on an evening with the aid of Joseph who is a wiz and helps to minimise time and frustration. Shoulder massage from RH
Sausage and Mash
Sausage, tumor, and mash

Normal stuff. Odd chores, washing up and listening to the boys tell me about their day and listening to their activities, music (Foals) today and the usual spats, arguments etc. They certainly have good reason to be feeling on edge.  Gently extending myself to do as much as previously did using Common sense. I made myself a salad lunch which is not unusual as I would normally prepare each morning to take to work. RH recorded the process on a DVD which I will be able to use for comparison once treatment begins. I was delighted that my motor skills have not been significantly impaired.

All my own work


3) Contacts: good to see the in-laws today so they may feel reassured that I am doing reasonably well in the circumstances. And yesterday’s visit from my good friend PM who sensibly suggested we plan a visit to a pub for a pint of local ale in the near future (subject to medical advice).

4) Today’s Personal Positive NHS News :  Anne & elderly relatives being well looked after by  community staff.



10/01/13

No comments:

Post a Comment