Thursday 31 January 2013

Institutions continued, and update


What makes Britain great #four [our respect and enjoyment of the countryside 'green& pleasant land' and all those institutions ,farmers,landowners ,supporters who maintain access for the wider population]
Here are some initial pictures of me trying to do something healthy,normal and part of self care routine -a walk on a local byway in the fresh air with my little &eldest ,sister and her dog that thinks he's a Hippo,a 'Hippodogamous'  no less.
Following on from earlier emphasis on what makes Britain great, I am continuing to pose some themes of what I believe are important institutions [NHS being a key which binds us all together in a unifying way which we undermine to the detriment of us all].. I’m being fairly open ended about “institutions” (see number #5: multiculturalism,pubs and football).  Again, the purpose is to stimulate discussion, but in particular in relation to the NHS and the care I have received, and that of others. This is dependent on highly skilled and caring people from around the world. I’m not sure what I feel about us,a wealthy UK  poaching such valuable individuals from less well off countries. Nevertheless, it’s clearly to our benefit, and I like to think our best practice is then dispersed throughout the world by the example of the NHS. When I was an inpatient, there were so many people representing so many countries, I had to take a atlas in to overcome my ignorance. 
Tom Archer spotted (the shoot)

Ken worthy( executive ) taxi sand Rory the' HippoDogamous'

and ensure you clear up  your dogs dodos!

This one's for Julie

You go out of your way to find some space and you run into someone you  used to work with what are the chances?

Great British Institutions #4; Public Access to the countryside
 The combined   efforts of all those organisations and  associations (e.g.  National Trust, Farming industry, English Heritage, landowners, Ordnance Survey etc. In the maintenance of our green and pleasant land allowing all of us to benefit through public access

Though I have always lived in Cities/towns I have generally had ready access to the country side and enjoy being going out for walk in parks, woods, and using the permitted paths, bridle ways etc. I really don’t mind the conditions as long as I am prepared with adequate footwear and clothing. My mother was equally keen and would suggest a ‘constitutional’ post Sunday dinner (rather than slump in front of the TV as all the carbohydrates are being processed- unused-absorbed).

Well wishers sustaining my recovery
my good friend Peter who  knows a thing or two about  George Kelly's Personal Construct Theory -PCT ( surly a precursor to Beck's et al  Cognitive Behavioral Therapy -CBT ? from which current CBT could perhaps learn a thing or two :Article to follow in time ''snakes & ladders'   and Michael Whites Narrative Therapy amongst other things. Visits with his delightful daughter Rachel (one and a half) to cheer me up and get my sons old toys out from the attic
Good old playmobile. My boys could not resist joining in the fun.

Happy Family .Article on Personal Construct Theory to follow.

#5: Multiculturalism
I wanted to emphasize the importance to the NHS (and I believe wider UK society) .Thirty percent of NHS professionals were born overseasThat would certainly reflect my recent experience of being an inpatient in the NHS. I was treated with the highest standard of care and professionalism from so many kind and friendly people from all manner of places.  Working collectively for the benefit of patients, relatives and their colleagues. This has been my experience throughout the thirty years I have worked in the NHS. I have worked and lived in a diverse range of  multicultural cities and towns (including  areas of marked social deprivation & very well heeled East  Anglia Towns, inner city London for six years). I don’t have a problem with the notion of multiculturalism and immigrants coming to work & settle in the UK (I might if I did not have live my current comfortable and well off standard of living).

Return to the work environment
Minus use of car. Used another GB institution, the public transportation system (mainly the railway) and the reliable the telephone box (not red, alas).  This was particularly stressful, as not only have I lost the use of the car after 35 years, my case load at work has to be handed over so that the patients received the necessary treatment. For me this was an almighty emphasis that I will not be going back to as it was before, and I will have to seriously consider my work goals and aims. Career? Future?
Let the train take the strain
hrnv
This is where it all started.hence me clinging on for dear life.

Overflowing inbox.Thanks for all the emails telling me my mailbox was full!

For some reason the term “bucket list” keeps coming to mind. I am not sure who suggested I get a 911 Porsche ;hardly  fits with the mandatory 2 year driving ban, and it wouldn't be the same with Anne at the wheel and me as a passenger. I have had thoughts about what I can get away with,( criminality wise) but that will have to be kept under wraps so as to avoid accusations of premeditation. 
Good news NHS Stories:
My Colleague’s husband had his esophagus reconstructed from other parts of his body and is recovering very well. Incredible intervention and exemplary care reported back.,Albeit some of the post operative supplies needed a bit of sorting.Its the small things that can really make a difference.any way best wishes to P and a speedy recovery.

Keep reporting your own NHS positive news stories  accounts or those of  others past present and future
Sustained by the ususal. Lots of well wishers. Cake, beer, visitors. At times we all get a bit overwhelmed emotionally, so that’s all expected and normal. We’re still treating ourselves with hats and now on second batches thereof

New slippers are generally a significant adjustment.Out with the old in with the new .Thank you to my colleagues in the  NCMHT for the collection

Rocky Road ahead to recovery?Thank you Alan & Nicki

Work held its annual  Christmas Secret Santa (bran tub to some of you] albeit two months late as I have been off due to the tumours.  .I have tested the beer quality  which is superb. Thank  you
whoever the 'secret person is '.


1 comment: