Thursday 31 January 2013

Treatment plan

On Friday I attend outpatient Oncology for the fitting of my 'Mask' (I do like Jim Carey movies). If you want to know a bit more about the preparations for radiotherapy  try the very informative /reliable Macmillan site:

 http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertreatment/Treatmenttypes/Radiotherapy/Beingtreated/Radiotherapymasks.aspx

Then the following Monday 4th February I am due to start Radiotherapy, my first of six over a two week period. I cant say I am looking forward to the prospect of side effects, particularly i) hair loss, albeit this is delayed and may take some weeks to occur. Moreover hair loss is not something new and I have had to get used to this for some time. My  charming sons will no doubt have a field day on this one. I have already incorporated a hat into my regular apparel as I don't like drawing attention to  the scar on my skull  whether at home or in public. And ii) Exhaustion: This is highly likely & regrettable as each moment seems so precious and I want to make the most of it

Coping: As previous by a) Developing routine for the basics b) incorporating meditation & gentle yoga plus exercise whilst extending myself a bit more each day-week c) the generous support and kindness of all you well wishers. Listening to Anne and the boys whose' common sense moderates my excess (most of the time)
d) The Blog: as a way to update folks without having to recount the same information repeatedly; to manage my thoughts and feelings; as a place to start a dialogue about the NHS & the quality of Care and treatment which is clearly happening and needs arising to counteract the mainstream media
 (see my introduction to the Blog and my motivation)
I am hoping to call into my two places of work ,using the train (due to the fixed two year driving ban) and see my colleges check my in tray(emails) etc

Symptoms
not currently getting headaches or visual disturbances (unless very tired)
Some labile emotions (quick to well up) if something reminds me of the past ,triggers  thoughts about the uncertainty of the future
Fastidiousness about knowing where things are ,in control and what I have previously referred to as 'reverse nesting'.
Pesky upper respiratory tract cough with usual signs (I wont go into detail you have all had chest infections at  some point to some degree!) which kicks in when tired and inhibits sleep ,social discourse etc. A colleague suggested there is a prevalent "100 day cough " going around. I hope it does not  last  that long.
Exhaustion: I find I get completely knackered at certain times of day then irritable and sensitive to criticism and fussing at which time I try to do some mindfulness meditation

3 comments:

  1. All the best for the start of treatment , I hope things go as smoothly as possible , much love all at 23 Catharine st xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks to all at number 23. Do feel free to call in for a cup of tea and a chat. You can always ring before hand to check if I am around or whether some one else has come to visit. Today Ben & Melissa came over from Bedford ,My sister and niece called in earlier however they live local and are in a position to come and go as they please without too much disruption to their normal activities .I am not particularly concerned about the Radiotherapy apart from the prospect of feeling even more tired than I already get,Some days I have to book visitors in particularly if they are coming from a far (my best man flies in from California next week Monday and an old friend from Swindon who live in New Jersey State happens to be in the UK on business and plans to call in sometime?.Our good friend Steve who sadly lost his wife Sally is coming up on the Train from Cornwall arriving on Monday.We have plenty of tea cups!and tea(plus stronger stuff.We also want to support Mary and Jim in their recovery and now Patrick , Fortunately I am feeling reasonably strong.And get the batteries recharged from all the well wishes and support etc.

      Delete
  2. Dear Neil, I've just found out about your illness. My thoughts are with you and your family.
    Good to hear Mindfulness is helping with the process. Me and my meditation bells can go and see you anytime that suits you!.
    It is lovely that you have created this blog. Keep up the good spirit!
    All the best with the treatment
    Mabel

    ReplyDelete