Wednesday 16 January 2013

Post Biopsy (the Biopsy was done on Sunday pm 13th January)

Saw this on the patio

Post Biopsy (the Biopsy was done on Sunday pm 13th January):
Massive visual problems.   Worst   period Sunday - Monday -   Tuesday   15th    January 2013 by far.
·        Not sure why? Best not presume and will leave to the professionals to determine what the cause of the symptoms. I guess having a biopsy + tumour may in itself be the reason.

·        Being sleep deprived ( almost inevitable as an inpatient on a busy ward)

·        Massive disruption to bodies usual intake of sustenance having been through x 3 “nil-by-mouth” regimes within three days.

·        Side effects of Steroids? I have minimised use of analgesics therefore I don’t expect it’s this.

·        Constipation (Maltesers problem: see previous has appeared to double in size!)  I assume it’s inevitable when mobility is reduced as an inpatient. Fortunately my nursing background has enabled me to make sense of this and intervene as required. Do ensure you seek professional guidance for your own needs on this matter from the staff caring for you. Dietician visits with sound advice.

·        Visual stimulus. It’s snowing. This adds to my stress as it means I will be going out of the ward for the first time in a snow flurry. My confidence in walking has already been undermined for some time now. I experiences a fear of falling/harm due to the visual problems. Anne not a keen driver at the best of times.

The whole journey from the bedside to home was pretty unpleasant. I know that in my home environment I will be able to adjust and settle into routine, in the knowledge that family and friends are also less burdened with having to visit. Struggling with the power of the car front halogen lights much in evidence and the snow, people, cars busy, busy. Visual hallucinations: +++. Akin to being in a virtual ‘Ghostbusters’ movie. With ghostly apparitions in 3D, lunging through the windows, gesticulating. Not grotesque, unnerving; as this is one of my favourites perhaps it’s associated with memory?

The rooms at home appear as if they have altered in some way. Walls/doors have been move? Pictures missing? Ceilings curved?
Decorating? Anne reassures that nothing has altered.

Werewolf hand: my left hand looks different (I was thrilled by American werewolf in London so perhaps some memory stuff going on here?)
Managed a few hours sleep overnight, however. Managed a few hours of quality sleep on Monday night. Visuals start up after waking with shifting peripheral disturbances flashing lights plus a new phenomena where furnishings appear to contain moving beings (a bit like the ground shifting in the film ‘Shivers’)
Coping by trying to maintain routine, Grounding.  Simple easy to use guided (on MP3) meditation and gentle standing yoga.

Thank you for your messages of support


NH 16/1/2013






No comments:

Post a Comment